Breaking Bad Habits

'So discard every form of dishonesty and lying so that you will be known as one who always speaks the truth, for we all belong to one another.

But don’t let the passion of your emotions lead you to sin! Don’t let anger control you or be fuel for revenge, not for even a day. Don’t give the slanderous accuser, the Devil, an opportunity to manipulate you! If any one of you has stolen from someone else, never do it again. Instead, be industrious, earning an honest living, and then you’ll have enough to bless those in need.' Ephesians 4:25-28 (TPT)

How then might I live? Those of us that have decided to live for Christ are like brothers and sisters. We are family members in the faith. We are to be living for Christ because we belong to Him and we belong to one another. I must make it a choice to live for Him. I could choose to live like Christ. I could use His life as an example for my own. Like Him, I could live a life of passion and refuse to let my emotions lead me into sin but rather be lead by the Spirit into peace. I could learn to control my anger. 

When I live according to Christ and refuse to let anger control me, I defuse the negative situations that will result from my anger by removing the fuel. When the fuel that feeds the fire of my emotions is removed, then the flames of wrath die down and become manageable. That is what Jesus did for me. That is me, as a child of God, using the fire of my passion in a good way, not letting it lead me into sin. That is Holy Spirit's ministry, one of helps, one that will give me the power through prayer to refuse to let that slanderous accuser devil manipulate me. 

No one can manipulate and control like the Devil. He has no power over me but that which I give him. I can see the likes of him coming from a mile away. No accuser today. No footholds. I must learn to resist. The devil is a liar and a thief. In his midst is chaos and confusion. I refuse to live that way. I must break bad habits. I refuse to stay where I am not wanted. I refuse to be where I am not loved. I am a child of God. 

I am a child of God. In that way I am to be Christ-like. I will not lie to you. Shouldn't we tell each other the truth in love? I will not steal from you. Shouldn't we all work and earn an honest living? I am a blessing to others and not a curse. I am a hard worker and I strive to make my home, my community and my country prosperous. I am a blessing to those in need. I seek out ways to be more like Christ in my daily walk with Him.

When I am walking with Christ I will occupy and I hear His voice. Today I might ask myself if I am in God's will. In God's will I think about others and I think about ways to help those around me that are in need. His thoughts become my thoughts. His voice becomes my voice. How can I bless my sister today? How can I bless my brother today? 

Dear Father. Forgive me for I have sinned. I confess, I have failed You in so many ways. Thank You for dying for me and for being my perfect example how to live. Your children hate lying and stealing. Help me to resist the devil. I pray for grace. Keep me in Your will. I love You Lord. Thank You for forgiving me. Let the enemy have no place in me. In Jesus name. Amen. 

Source: Biblegateway.com; Biblehub.com; google.com; openbible.info.

Related image

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree