Our Hierachy of Needs

'So don’t lose a minute in building on what you’ve been given, complementing your basic faith with good character, spiritual understanding, alert discipline, passionate patience, reverent wonder, warm friendliness, and generous love, each dimension fitting into and developing the others. With these qualities active and growing in your lives, no grass will grow under your feet, no day will pass without its reward as you mature in your experience of our Master Jesus. Without these qualities you can’t see what’s right before you, oblivious that your old sinful life has been wiped off the books.' 2 Peter 1:5-9 (MSG)

Peter describes these seven Christian characteristics of virtue which develop in a logical order to compliment the others. Often called the ladder of virtues or the stairway of faith, where I find my Christian friends I will often see these signs of the faith following.

Faith is my foundation for without it I am not a Christian. Faith brings a desire to do what is good and goodness helps me live a pure life and keep a pure conscience. Goodness leads to a desire for more knowledge of His Word and God speaks to me through His Word and Holy Spirit, guiding and directing me in the paths I should take and revealing spiritual truths to me. With knowledge comes self-control which helps me to practice truth. With self-control I am able to persevere when trials and temptations come against me. Perseverance leads me to develop "godliness" and to want to live in reverence to God in every way. Godliness manifest itself into mercy for one another and godly relationships. Brotherly and sisterly kindness develops into self-sacrificing "love".

My foundation of faith, with Holy Spirit help, takes me up the Christian hierarchy of needs ladder to the generous love of Christ. At the top of the ladder I can better see what is right before me and ahead of me! My desire will always be to climb higher. Maturity and rewards await me with each step of the way. With Master Jesus as my guide, no grass will grow under my feet as I strive to reach Him and to always keep my eyes focused on Him. My sins were great but His love for me was greater. He is all that I need.
No automatic alt text available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree