Flesh vs Spirit

'I can anticipate the response that is coming: “I know that all God’s commands are spiritual, but I’m not. Isn’t this also your experience?” Yes. I’m full of myself—after all, I’ve spent a long time in sin’s prison. What I don’t understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can’t be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God’s command is necessary.

But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can’t keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don’t have what it takes. I can will it, but I can’t do it. I decide to do good, but I don’t really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don’t result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.

It happens so regularly that it’s predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God’s commands, but it’s pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.

I’ve tried everything and nothing helps. I’m at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn’t that the real question?

The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.' Romans 7:14-25 (MSG)

The struggle is real. God's Law is greater. It was established so that I might see and do the good. Even where Grace abounds seeing the good doesn't make me do it though. The same with evil. You really can't have one without the other. I am not a sin denier. God's ways are higher and He does not lie. The minute I hold up the one, and decide to do something good, the opposite thought is right there to hold me down. The battle rages on over my thoughts, even now. I know that I must take control over the one that wants to destroy me and give in to the One that is looking out for me. Where would I be without Holy Spirit? I need more of Him and less of me. I need a plan. I need a savior. A savior that has my best interests in mind. His ways lead me to the better way. Good thoughts, from God, lead me to act in ways that are good. When I need help I call on Jesus. He is the answer to the sin problem. He lives to intercede for me. He can help me and He does. Every time. Every day. I need Him now even more. Not less. I can't do it any other way. Thank God, He is there, forgiving me for the evil that I do. Thank you for the thoughts that bring me back to You.

 No automatic alt text available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree