Bringing Out the God-Colors in the World

'And you, beloved, are the light of the world. A city built on a hilltop cannot be hidden. Similarly it would be silly to light a lamp and then hide it under a bowl. When someone lights a lamp, she puts it on a table or a desk or a chair, and the light illumines the entire house. You are like that illuminating light. Let your light shine everywhere you go, that you may illumine creation, so men and women everywhere may see your good actions, may see creation at its fullest, may see your devotion to Me, and may turn and praise your Father in heaven because of it.' Matthew 5:14-16 (VOICE)

Some days I get confused by it all. The days are getting darker. Jesus calls me the light of the world. Believers, Jesus calls us a city on a hill. He says we are to be like an illuminating light. How might I illumine creation? How do I let my light shine everywhere I go? I could take the bowl off to let my light shine and that would let men and women everywhere see my good actions. This, then, may be one way. I need to do away with a few things that keep the light hidden. I need to do away with the yoke that binds me, the clenched fist and the wicked word. I need to do a few things to be the light. I need to share my bread with the hungry and I need to clothe the man that I see naked. Simple enough. When I do these things I can see my light begin to rise in the darkness and my gloom to be like the noon day. Sun rise. More clarity. Just smile. I can do those things.

When I do away with the clenched fist and the wicked word, I must first open my hand up and face that which has hurt me in the first place. To be free from the yoke that binds me I must face and deal with; my pain and disappointments, all the fears and misunderstanding, even my own exhaustion and indifference to the situation. Opening my hands brings me closer to that person which I have guarded myself from. A smile and a handshake just might move that person which I have placed below me right in front of me. With the right words and with the offer of a hand up, I might pull that person up to my level. With God's grace, I face the feelings within myself and I turn that person which I want to hurt into my friend. My fist becomes an open hand, that becomes a wave of welcome to my future brother and sister in Christ. Isn't that the process we follow to find our way out of blindness and bitterness and into light and forgiveness? Openness takes the bowl off to let His light shine through me.

More of the light of Christ shines through me when I accept the calling to be totally devoted to Him. The light cannot be hidden for the totally devoted, but, when it is people notice. None can deny Him when they see the open-handed kindness of His followers and oh, that they might praise the Father because of the glimpses of holiness they see in His creation! None can deny in some situations that seem hopeless and dark, that get sorted out through words of hope and understanding and get turned around with the right kind of love and Holy Spirit power, that God is in it. Good works bring forth the light that they might glorify the Father.Things of beauty grow in the light. Fill your world with God-colors and see creation at its fullest. Learn to live in the Light of Life.

 No automatic alt text available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree