Removing Old Wallpaper

'Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. The one who speaks in a tongue builds up himself, but the one who prophesies builds up the church. Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up.' 1 Corinthians 14:1-5 (ESV)

I was recently challenged to remove old wallpaper in a house that we are restoring. It is strippable they say. So with steamer in one hand and putty knife in the other I climbed the ladder. I descended the ladder. And again and again. Climbing and descending a hundred times that day, with handfuls of complete strips and piles and piles of the tiny residues of the past that would not budge without a fight. Paper covers up so many sins of the past. It has got to go! Sadly, it was a battle against paper and glue and all fought with only weapons of the mind, muscles and steam. Gladly, it did bring its intended results.

Results? For me it was so many sore muscles. Sore muscles and sore knees. Sore knees and two large garbage bags of 1980s floral print of pretty little pink flowers. Sins of the past? Defeated. Did I tell you that I have amazing grandsons? So inappropriate for future all-boy stay-overs. That which remains is only the sheet rock and all the notes that the sheet rock hangers and finishers had left for those that were to come after.

Those that were to come after? That's me! Those notes they left me? Funny and concise. Meant only for one certain audience and set of eyes. Telling me where I am to go; north, south, east and west. Telling me what the builder (the one reading the blueprint set of plans) had intended. Paint here, varnish there, wallpaper everywhere. Arrows. Light switch here, power outlet there. Arrows pointing up and arrows pointing down. Arrows pointing right and arrows pointing left. So many directions and yet...I plan to paint. Light mint. Past meets present.

I am living in the present 21st Century of good and bad feelings. So isn't that a lot like the Word of God? It brings Good feelings. It brings feelings of regret. But mostly, how it encourages, edifies and directs me. I can see the signs of the times and analyze the message for the day which may be bad and compare that message to how the stripping wallpaper times that I am living in are just what He will use to get His Good message and blueprint set of plans to me. Arrows and directions from Him just for me! I am listening.

Good messages are just what I need. What a Gift. Even now, how the Holy Word of God directs me to desire His gifts. The Word directs me to pray in the heavenly language. The Word of God directs me to be a prophet and even more to use that gift to prophesy to others. The Word of God directs me to allow God's Holy Spirit to move me and to use me to help God edify others. Just as He encourages me, I am to be an encourager!

Encouragement comes to us directly from God through His Word, His creation and the prophets. His type of encouragement is Spiritual and is more than just a kind word such as, 'have a nice day' or, 'you look good today'. Those types of encouragement are nice, but He leads us to help build up the Church in more powerful and take authority kind of heavenly ways. The kind of ways that cause us to look up and that we need for the moment.

In His Way, He directs us and teaches us. He exposes our sins and forces us to deal with them. He uses us to speak for God Himself. We are to speak the words that we hear directly from God with the Words He gives us. We are to prophesy Words from Him of life, health and joy. So we strip away at the things that hide us from the Truth of God. We pray for the Gifts of God. We reject sin and receive Jesus as Lord.

Dear Father. Thank you for your gifts of Tongues and Prophesy. Strip us of the things that are not of You. Make us usable. Defeat our enemies. Anoint us. Use us to edify the Church and to build up one another with Words of Power and Truth. Lord have Your way in us. In Jesus's name we pray. Amen.

Source: Biblegateway.com; google.com.
Image result for removing old wall paper bible study

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree