Cha-ching. Cha-ching.

'Jesus then told the crowd and the disciples to come closer, and he said: If any of you want to be my followers, you must forget about yourself. You must take up your cross and follow me. If you want to save your life, you will destroy it. But if you give up your life for me and for the good news, you will save it. What will you gain, if you own the whole world but destroy yourself? What could you give to get back your soul?' Mark 8:34-37 (CEV)

I had to ask myself how much will this good news life cost? What does it cost me to follow and believe? Some say it's free, but Jesus says it will cost you everything. Which is it? Can I afford to give Jesus everything? Have I given Him everything?

Life's too short. Shouldn't I spend the little time that I've been given on trying to get as much as I can out of it? Shouldn't I try to be the best that I can be? Shouldn't I be taking life easy? Shouldn't I try to get my fair share? In life, it seems to me that life owes me nothing. I would much rather put into it than take out of it. The world offers a sin filled life that seems so empty and shallow when I compare it to a spiritual life filled with Jesus and what He offers. He offers less roller coaster with more meaning and purpose. I just misplace the jewelry and break the expensive china anyway. Most of those things I hold in my hands can be replaced. Cha-ching.

The debate between good and evil rages on in the souls of man and it's always good to hear both sides. To weigh the costs. Here it is, from Jesus's own lips, on what the call for right living will cost as it is presented to the crowd and to the disciples. He says, 'come closer, follow me'. The difference between the two ways couldn't be more distant. In a bit of a play on words He says that when we follow Him, we are called to sacrifice for what we gain. When I follow Him I must forget about me. That's a sacrifice. When I follow Him it's all about the Good News. That's a gain. When I follow Him I do what He did and stop sinning. That's a sacrifice. When I follow Him He promises to save me for eternity. That's a gain. To gain anything in life that has value, there will always be a sacrifice. The bigger the gain, the bigger the sacrifice. For there comes a day when glory will be revealed and it's not too late to think about that and to look at every thing on earth that might be holding me back and put it in the light of truth that is revealed in that One life. I choose life.

Would you be willing to lose your soul because of what you think you could gain by owning the whole world?

Shiny object. Holding it up to the light. Contrast. Eternity in darkness. It's gotta go. Cha-ching! One more thing added to the pile at the foot of the cross. His sacrifice was greater. So much greater!

Dear Father.
Thank you for the freedom I gained in knowing You. Oh, Lord, thank You for saving my soul! I am so grateful that You died for me and that You helped me to release the one thing that I made an idol in my heart and that held me captive. In Jesus's name I pray. Amen.

Source: 9/22/18 blog post.
Image may contain: ocean, mountain, nature, outdoor and water, text that says 'The world says love yourself. grab all you can, follow your heart. Jesus says deny yourself, grab your cross and follow me. Francis Chan'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree