Matters of the Heart

'When they came, he looked on Eliab and thought, “Surely the Lord's anointed is before him.”  But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”' 1 Samuel 16:6-7 (ESV)

I should be about the things of God. It's the right thing to do. How could I learn to see what God sees? Live an anointed life! Now that's how to discern the voice of God. By using Godly principles, and staying in God's Word, the Holy Spirit will show me not to judge a person by their looks but rather by their heart. 

Though I cannot see into a person's heart, God can. God sees the heart. When I might choose a leader by their looks, or how much money that they have or even the car that they drive, God reminds me in His Word, not to pay any attention to those external things or the outward appearance but to consider only the things that truly matters.

External traits such as height, build and good looks certainly have advantages, but those things, which the world places value in, are limited and are only external and do not necessarily imply real worth. Thankfully, God judges not on appearances but on reality. Of faith, of fear and of love - those are the things of the heart beyond human discernment in which the Lord values. Even David's own father would not have chosen him to be king.

Eliab may have looked the part, he was the oldest, but the Lord rejected him for reasons unknown, sparing the people. Perhaps his heart was not in it. Perhaps his heart was full of pride or envy or wrath. None of which would make him a good leader.

We all make mistakes and ironically even Samuel made the mistake of using the same measure when he was searching for Saul's replacement that he did when he chose Saul as king in the first place.  But, when he listened to God, the voice of wisdom within himself, he was led to make the right choice. David was God's choice to be king.

King David was a great leader. He had patience. He had humility. He had courage. He had faith.

How could I learn to make better choices? How could I learn to listen to God and let Him lead me to make right choices? Staying in God's Will keeps me on the right path. Some things of importance, things of the heart, I cannot know except through discernment and that is a gift of the Holy Spirit from God. God's Word tells me that when I seek Him I will find Him.

Dear Heavenly Father. Thank You Lord. Thank You for Your Word. Thank You for Your anointing. I know that You hear me. I trust You to lead me. In Jesus's name. Amen.

Source: Biblegateway.com; Biblehub.com; google.com; theporch.live; 'History of Israel, 1 & 2 Samuel', J Vernon McGee, 1991.

Image result for 1 samuel 16:6-7 picture quote

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree