Prepared to Pray


'Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. Pray for us, too, that God will give us many opportunities to speak about his mysterious plan concerning Christ. That is why I am here in chains. Pray that I will proclaim this message as clearly as I should.' Colossians 4:2-4 (NLT)

To be devoted is to give a large part of your time and resources to a thing of importance to you. And why not be devoted to prayer? Isn't it what we are called to do? Why not give yourself to prayer? I see the benefits of it. I know that continued conversations with God will keep me connected to Him. Prayer keeps my Spirit alive. Prayer keeps me from temptation. Prayer helps to cast off my fears. My prayers are precious and powerful when they are mixed with faith. It is God's will that we are to pray without ceasing. If it is His will, then I should be about that and be prepared.

To be alert to something is to watch it closely. When I am watchful, I am paying attention and getting myself ready to be prepared for anything. I am watching so that I don't miss it. I am watching so that I don't miss out on the good things that God is doing. I stay watchful in prayer so that I might avoid the dangerous times ahead as well. I stay awake in prayer through the days of my exhaustion to the struggles, to guard that my heart might not turn cold and my thoughts might not become indifferent to the troubles of this world. I stay awake in prayer to guard my mind against the traps of falling into a careless and negligent manner during the days of my discontent. I am awake and alert to pray as the Spirit leads me.

To be thankful is to be pleased and relieved. I am pleased that my God hears my prayers and answers them. He is pleased when I thank Him. There are always mercies to bless Him for, and favors to ask of Him. How can I come to Him with my prayer needs if I don't thank Him for the answers to the prayers that I have already received? I am relieved that He hears me. I keep asking, seeking and knocking. He keeps His promises as when I remain in His will, I always seem to receive, find and the doors are opened. His love never fails. This is my prayer of gratitude to the Lord. In Jesus name. Amen.
 
 Image may contain: one or more people, cloud, sky, outdoor, nature and text
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree