Destination Unknown

'Now when Jesus saw great multitudes about him, he gave commandment to depart unto the other side. And there came a scribe, and said unto him, Teacher, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest. And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the heaven have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head. And another of the disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. But Jesus saith unto him, Follow me; and leave the dead to bury their own dead.

And when he was entered into a boat, his disciples followed him. And behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the boat was covered with the waves: but he was asleep. And they came to him, and awoke him, saying, Save, Lord; we perish. And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm. And the men marvelled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him?' Matthew 8:18-27 (ASV)

When the command was given to leave, isn't it funny how everyone steps up to join in on the adventure? The crowds were large. The benefits were high. So why not? Then you see the educated one, the scribe, coming forward to speak. He knows how to read and write. What a value he could bring to the group, but the Teacher tells it to him straight. There is not fame or fortune here. Then the other one comes forward to join the group, but he has conditions and thus was rebuked. 

Soon enough, the command of Jesus was obeyed by the disciples as the boats were set out to sea. Visibility was good, and they could probably even see over to the other side, yet almost immediately a great tempest arose. Most of the disciples were fisherman, this was their home and yet they were afraid. What a great opportunity for the Lord to teach them a lesson. When He told them to go and He went with them their faith was high. When the waves began to cover the boat and yet they found Him sleeping their faith turned to fear. What should we do? Pray! Pray that the winds die down. Pray that the rain stops. Pray for a miracle and calm seas. That's exactly what He did.

When the storms of life come, as they often do, and I find myself in darkness, prayer should be my first line of defense. When my mind remains clear I can remain calm. Rebuke the winds and the seas. Pray to the Father. Pray for Holy Spirit power to get me through the situation. Pray for my healing and for the answer to come. When Jesus tells me to go, He never leaves me defenseless. I just need the faith to know that when He is in it that I can reach the other side. The testing and the trials of life come to make me stronger. When He answers my prayers and the seas begin to calm my faith in the Him grows. It is then that I can look to Him and say, You are my Lord. You are my miracle working God. You alone are my strength. I put my trust in You. I will love you through the storms and the smooth sailing.

 drummingthemessagehome.blogspot.com

 Image may contain: text

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree