Empty Promises

“And don’t say anything you don’t mean. This counsel is embedded deep in our traditions. You only make things worse when you lay down a smoke screen of pious talk, saying, ‘I’ll pray for you,’ and never doing it, or saying, ‘God be with you,’ and not meaning it. You don’t make your words true by embellishing them with religious lace. In making your speech sound more religious, it becomes less true. Just say ‘yes’ and ‘no.’ When you manipulate words to get your own way, you go wrong. Matthew 5:33-37 (MSG)

This counsel was simply the antithesis of what Moses had taught them in the past. The law was based on words and oaths. Jesus was a radical law breaker! He instructed His followers to refrain from making an empty promise or from taking an oath at all. What? Why? It seems reasonable to say that we should tell the truth and say what we mean. It's also true that much of what we do is based on traditions and habits. Why shouldn't I, with good intentions, be able to say to a friend, 'you can count on me'? I may have good intentions and be speaking truth at that moment, but then who can really know what the future will bring, or what circumstances might come up to prevent me from living up to that promise? A promise made and not kept will begin to tarnish my reputation with that friend which could lead to a lack of trust or even worst, could even set that friend up for failure. I shouldn't expect that friend to commit to an act with an oath to me as well. 

When I take an oath with someone and end it with religious laced statements like 'so help me God' or 'I swear to God' it puts too much control on me, of which I have none. It seems that I am not in control of very many things, but God is. I am nothing compared to the sovereignty of God. So the best I can do is to make a provisional promise to that person, or better yet, follow the example Jesus set and don't swear an oath to God at all!

When we speak, simple and direct communication is usually best. Avoid smoke screens of pious talk. Agree with a 'yes' or disagree with a 'no'. The more debate I have over an issue could lead to word manipulation and then it could start to sound dogmatic as I try to control the situation to get my own way. Enough is enough. We all want to look good but if I just say something to impress someone to look good for the moment and don't follow through by doing what I say I will, then I lose my credibility and my witness. A promise broken shows everyone that I am not who I say I am, but shows me, I am not who I think I am. That's where and when I begin to go wrong. When I trip myself up over my own words they become; too many, too arrogant, too proud. Isn't this the slippery slope which could lead me to become; too confident, too bold, too self-centered? When I stay humble and in control of myself my words become; few, precise, precious, doable. My words become my bond. No more empty promises. I live or I die by my words, so wouldn't I want to choose them wisely?

Image may contain: mountain, sky, text, outdoor and nature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree