Forty Year Observation: Learning to Expect the Unexpected

'For the sons of Israel walked forty years in the wilderness, until all the nation, that is, the men of war who came out of Egypt, perished because they did not listen to the voice of the LORD, to whom the LORD had sworn that He would not let them see the land which the LORD had sworn to their fathers to give us, a land flowing with milk and honey.' Joshua 5:6 (NASB).

Forty symbolizes a period of testing, trial and probation. It also represents a generation. What have I observed during my forty years as a Christian? What have I noticed along the way? Is there anything that I could pass on to the next generation? Learn to expect the unexpected.

I had a few prayers and a few demands and more than a few ideas of how things would turn out for me back in the days of my youth. There are no regrets, just observations of the dichotomy of the matters of the flesh and the matters of the spirit. The unexpected results are why I want to know the truth in every matter of life now, so that my prayers might line up with His will for me. So that my prayers might be more effective. I know God has plans for me and they are to prosper me and not to harm me and to give me a hope and a future. I have learned to trust Him more because I have seen Him working out these plans for me. This was my journey, my footprints in the sand and here are a few of my personal observations:

When I prayed the prayer of salvation and asked God to save my soul and to let me live, I heard Him say to me, 'I will save you for all of eternity', but first you must die to self. 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me', Matthew 16:24 (NIV).

When I prayed to be set free, I heard Him say to me, 'I will set you free', but you belong to me. 'Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.' John 8:32 (NIV).

When I prayed to live a happy life, I heard Him say to me 'I will bless you', but you will find tears and sorrow in it. 'He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.' Revelation 21:4 (NIV).

When I prayed for my own healing, I heard Him say to me 'I will heal you'. but don't take your health for granted, you will suffer many things. 'For I will restore health to you and heal you of your wounds,' says the LORD.' Jeremiah 30:17 (KJ21).

When I prayed for God to give me the dreams and desires of my heart, I heard Him say to me 'I will give you that', but your dreams will be My desires for you. 'Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.' Psalm 37:4 (NIV).

When I prayed that God would use me, but not on a foreign mission field, I heard Him say to me 'I will use you', but sent my son instead. 'Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.' Luke 22:42 (NIV).

When I asked God to bless my finances, I heard Him say to me 'I will make you rich', but this place is not your own, you are just passing through, this world is not your home. 'Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul.' 1 Peter 2:11 (MSG).

When I asked God to bring me fame on the world stage as a dancer, I heard Him say to me 'I will make you a dancer', but my platform became the altar as I dance to an audience of One and He saved me from myself. My job would became my mission field, and my fingers would do the dancing across the keyboards and the calculators of life. 'Let them praise his name with dancing, making melody to him with tambourine and lyre!' Psalm 149:3 (RSV).

When I prayed that God would let me sing, I heard Him say to me 'I will give you a voice' but I sing in a choir of one behind a set of drums. 'I will lift my voice to sing Your praise, O my Strength— for You came to my defense. O God, You have shown me Your loving mercy.' Psalm 59:17 (VOICE).

When I prayed and asked God to bless my children, I heard Him say to me 'I will bless them' but then asked me to give them back to Him. 'I will contend with those who contend with you, and your children I will save.' Isaiah 49:25 (NIV).

When I asked God to send me friends, I hear Him say to me 'I will bless you with many friends', but you may lose them all because of your faith. 'For God has said, 'I will never leave you; I will never abandon you.' Hebrews 13:5b (NIRV).

When I asked God to help me to pray longer prayers, I heard Him say to me 'I will do that' but my prayers may never be as eloquent and increase in length as I would like- they will always increase in numbers. 'Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.' Philippians 4:6 (NIV).

When I asked God to help me to want more of Him, I heard Him say to me 'I will help you' if you first meet me at 4 a.m. to discuss it. 'But at midnight there was a shout, 'Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.' Matthew 25:6 (NASB).

When I asked God to help me to love like He does, I heard Him say to me ' I will fill you with My unfailing love' but place you in a world full of hate and around people that are offended by My kind of love. 'A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.' John 13:34 (NIV).

When I asked God to help me to not take offense, I heard Him say to me ' I will help you to not be an offense', even though His ways are nothing but love, peace and joy they are offensive to many. 'Brothers and sisters, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished.' Galatians 5:11 (NIV).

And yet, I save the best for last, when I prayed that God would give me a godly man and that we would live in a city with all the lights, I heard Him say to me 'I will give you a godly man' and He did and we live in God's country, in Christ, in the city on the hill. 'You are the light of the world--like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden.' Matthew 5:14 (NLT).

So, to end this, I would like to say, thank you to those that have traveled this journey with me, you were an inspiration. Thank you to the Holy Spirit for the supernatural power to overcome. I look forward to the next forty years with anticipation and wonder as I learn to expect the unexpected!

 Image may contain: sky and nature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree