The Sign of the Dove

'This time the dove came back to him in the evening, and there, in its beak, was a freshly plucked olive leaf. So Noah knew then that the waters had begun to retreat from the land. For good measure, Noah waited another seven days. Once more, he sent out the dove. This time, it didn’t return.' Genesis 8:11-12 (VOICE)

'John the Baptist: Look! This man is more than He seems! He is the Lamb sent from God, the sacrifice to erase the sins of the world!  He is the One I have been saying will come after me, who existed long before me and is much greater than I am.  No one recognized Him—myself included. But I came baptizing with water so that He might be revealed to Israel.  As I watched, the Spirit came down like a dove from heaven and rested on Him.  I didn’t recognize Him at first, but the One who sent me to baptize told me, “The One who will baptize with the Holy Spirit will be the person you see the Spirit come down and rest upon.”  I have seen this with my own eyes and can attest that this One is the Son of God. John 1:29-34 (VOICE)

Why did the Holy Spirit descend on Jesus in the form of a dove? Could it be that Holy Spirit appears in the form of its power? The symbol of a dove, suggests Jesus's purity and innocence. The dove  was a simple and common bird. The kind of bird that poor people would offer as a sacrifice.

As Noah released the dove, it did not return to him and was not mentioned again in the Word until Jesus, the Living Word, was announced to the earth as God's son. Jesus came in the name of peace as righteousness and Truth. Today Holy Spirit still comes in the form of a dove, He heals us and the spirit within us is fanned into a flame. As the disciples were filled with tongues of fire, God expects no less from me. They were then, just as we are now, given power to teach and to give testimony to the world about Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Dear Father.  You are my eternal fire, that comes to me to warm my cold heart and to burn out the effects of my sin. So that I might be given power to teach and give testimony to Your greatness. Thank you for Your Word. Thank you for the ministries of Jesus and of Your Holy Spirit. Thank you for saving me. Touch me with Your Grace. Keep me on fire in my pursuit of Truth. Redeem me and return to me all that the enemy has stolen from me. Release the power of Your Spirit in the form of a dove and tongues of fire over all the earth! In the name of Jesus's. Amen.

Source: Biblegateway.com; Biblehub.com; Christianity.com; Holy-transfiguration.org; google.com.


Related image

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree