Give Me the Biggest Slice of the Pie

'Speaking to the people, Jesus continued, “Be alert and guard your heart from greed and always wishing for what you don’t have. For your life can never be measured by the amount of things you possess.”' Luke 12:15 (TPT)

Dear Father

You speak to me through Your Word. Your Word is like a lamp to me. Illuminate in me all that you would have me see and do.  Amen.

In Jesus' name.

Amen.

God, Your Word is True. You speak to me through Your Word stories. Your stories are called parables. This one is called 'The Parable of the Rich Fool'. There are many lessons in the parables. Jesus would not have me perish for lack of knowledge. He says that I need to be warned constantly about the danger of the sin of covetousness. Thou shalt not covet. #10 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

Happiness and comfort do not depend on the wealth of this world.The Rich Fool is just like any of the other wealthy men of today who look only at the value of their things and in the pursuit of even more. They are never satisfied. They are always hungry. Their joy is temporal and comes in the spending and the pursuit. Their folly is in neglecting to see the value of their soul. That makes them foolish.

It is foolishness to deny the spiritual side while we are among the living. Forgive me Lord when I refuse to see generous and merciful God in the giving and getting and thus miss the opportunity to thank Him and the importance of praising Him for the things that He supplies me. Everything. All my needs.

In this act of planning for today, I do not want to miss seeing the more important part and value of planning for eternity and how very fragile and uncertain the things of life really are. Things can change and turn rapidly. We must deal with the rust and the weeds. So many things are complicated. So much can go wrong quickly and it often does. Just be aware. Don't make the same mistake as this poor rich fellow did.

So Jesus warns us to be alert and to guard our hearts from greed. Don't waste your life always wishing for things that you don't have. The amount of things that you possess in life is not the measure. You should see your life for what it really is. A test. My life is a test to see what I will do with what God has given me and how much of Him I will let in.

Life is short. No one gets out of it alive. No one knows the day. We cannot take our physical possessions with us. When God blesses us with good crops, we should take the time to thank Him and to bless Him for it by going and doing good with it. To satisfy the flesh by expanding and storing up our abundance in wealth is the worldly way. They say build bigger sheds to store your bigger boats. And they do.

What if what I see I want it all for me? Bankrupt! More. More. More. Give me the biggest slice of the pie. Pride! Gimme. Gimme. Gimme. Oh no! Oh my!  God forbid. God forgive. 

Source: Biblegateway.com; Biblehub.com; google.com.

 Daily Bible Reading Devotional – July 19th, 2016 – Dust Off The Bible

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree