Keep My Heart

'Keep vigilant watch over your heart; that’s where life starts.

Don’t talk out of both sides of your mouth; avoid careless banter, white lies, and gossip.

Keep your eyes straight ahead; ignore all sideshow distractions.

Watch your step, and the road will stretch out smooth before you.

Look neither right nor left; leave evil in the dust.' Proverbs 4:23-27 (MSG)

All things are to be kept but above all else keep keeping the heart. For out of the heart flows the issues of life. Physically, it is at the center of the body from where the blood of life flows. Morally, it is the center of my moral affections and the center of my spiritual life. So I am to keep keeping close watch over me.

I am to keep keeping close watch over my mind to avoid prideful thoughts and keep humble ones. I am to keep keeping close watch over my tongue and avoid mindless gossip and white lies. I am to keep keeping close watch over my will and avoid the things that might lead me to corruption. I am to keep keeping close watch over my conscience and avoid doing the things that might bring me feelings of guilt.  I am to keep keeping close watch over my affections to avoid any thoughts or bad intents that might lead to evil. I am to keep keeping close watch over all of me so that I might not fall prey to the enemy. Good intentions.

If my heart is right, so will my actions be. It is the first to live and the last to die. Whatever state it is in will be the condition of the rest of me. Why not keep it in such a state of health as to keep Christ at the center of it? I could keep keeping Him at the center of all the things I do and with Him right there even supplying me with everything I need and even with the living water of the well that never runs dry while all else remains.  I could even consider my life with Christ at the center and my heart being quickened and sanctified by God's grace. Then might I see myself as part of the family of God and my life be lived as one full of faith and holiness with life everlasting as my reward. When my heart is right then so will all of my actions be also. So much depends on this. So much care should be given to it and I must be totally devoted to keeping it so.

How might I be totally devoted to Christ? There is a remedy in the Word of God for all diseases of the soul. Guard your soul and keep your heart from being hurt or from hurting others. And how might I do that? Pray for forgiveness for the past and follow Him more closely from now on. My prayer to Him this morning is simply this; Lord You are the living water, let me drink from the well that never runs dry. Lord, You are moving me, look how You are moving me. New adventures await! Amen.

Source: 'Drummingthemessagehome', June 17, 2019, repost.
Image result for proverbs 4:23 quote picture

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree