The Importance of Listening

 'Then God came and stood before him exactly as before, calling out, “Samuel! Samuel!”

Samuel answered, “Speak. I’m your servant, ready to listen.”

God said to Samuel, “Listen carefully. I’m getting ready to do something in Israel that is going to shake everyone up and get their attention. The time has come for me to bring down on Eli’s family everything I warned him of, every last word of it. I’m letting him know that the time’s up. I’m bringing judgment on his family for good. He knew what was going on, that his sons were desecrating God’s name and God’s place, and he did nothing to stop them. This is my sentence on the family of Eli: The evil of Eli’s family can never be wiped out by sacrifice or offering.” 1 Samuel 3:10-14 (MSG)


God announces His intentions through His Prophets when they listen and they have ears inclined to hear what He is saying. He expects His Priests to deal with the desecrating acts of their own. And shouldn't we follow His commands? Shouldn't we listen to His voice?

I would be wise to follow His commands and keep a healthy prayer life. Why wouldn't I want to avoid God's judgment and consider all of my choices and decisions through much prayer and the study of God's Word?

Whenever I sin I should confess it and repent to God for He is merciful and will forgive me of them all. Jesus paid my entire sin debt to God on the cross so that I might have access and honor Him with my words and faithful service. I am now one of the chosen people, one of the royal priesthood, one of the holy nation. I am one of the people that belongs to God, and I live to declare the praises of Him that called me out of the darkness and into His wonderful light.

As a priest of God would do, I can do all things through Him and be grateful to Him for everything He does for me and still be reminded to deal with that which I know to be defiling and violating His Holy name and His Holy place. Speak to me Lord.

For failing to listen and to act can be a fatal mistake. And for Eli it wasn't any small matter. His complacency led to the loss of the Ark, the destruction of the priests and the sanctuary and his death as well as the death of his two sons.
 
Source: 'Drummingthemessagehome', May 26, 2020 blog post.

1 SAMUEL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called Forth to Life

Sending Out Invitations to the Concert

To the 7th Degree